[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

UNIX in Perspective (was: Re: DOS and Macro Virus Discussion)

Phill, I don't want to get into a flame war with you -- I have way too much
respect for your technical competence.  However, permit me to violently
agree with you...

>But MSDOS is not alone in this. UNIX has failed to develop significantly
>so far as the user interface is concerned since 1970. It is still based
>on a smug and complacent happy hacker attitude in which it is the
>responsibility of the user to adapt to the machine, where to expect the
>machine to be documented is to be a looser. In fact the more obscure
>the O/S is the happier the elite are - it protects their status and
>power. Like MVS, UNIX represented job security for tens of thousands
>of sysops to whom it gave power over lesser mortals.

UNIX was developed by programmers, for programmers, to make good use of the
few available machine resources (speaking as a UNIX user since the Version 6
days (1978)).  At that time for most of us, multiuser TTY access at 9600
baud was close to the state of the art.  256K was regarded as a pretty
sizeable machine memory size.  Given these constraints, UNIX performed its
job admirably.  Much of the kernel API paradigm survives to this day,
because they got it right on the issues they covered. Even today, there are
times that a powerful textual-command shell can be of enormous help; I keep
a Korn Shell (courtesy of MKS) up on my NT desktop continuously. Those days
really did require separate system administrators for computers, as
computers were just too expensive to dedicate to individual users.

Some issues not covered by the original UNIX design:
* Threads -- Although most current versions incorporate adequate support.
* Security -- UNIX required a ground-up rewrite of the kernel to incorporate
security properly.  (This rewrite is called Windows NT :).  As UNIX was
developed in a near-academic environment, security (apart from not stepping
on each other's files) was seen as a hindrance to information sharing.
 Obviously, the computing philosophy of security has advanced since then.
* Reliability -- I may be mistaken, but the great advances in mainframe
reliability occurred during the same period that UNIX was under initial
development.  Again, a complete rewrite of the kernel would be required.
 Probably the kernel API would then only need a very few changes, as
reliability should be transparent to the user and the programmer.
* Graphical User Interface -- GUIs were experimental during the early UNIX
development period.  The main fault UNIX systems now have is the lack of
adequate GUI system administration tools, which is perhaps a limit of the
UNIX culture -- it is certainly not a technical limitation, as there is no
reason that a UNIX system could not be completely graphically administered.
* Networking -- The lower level (socket C API) survives to this day, even in
Windows and Windows NT.  We are all still figuring out what the higher
levels need to look like.
* Documentation -- UNIX documentation (like the UNIX kernel and shell) was
written by programmers for programmers.  Generally, I have found UNIX
systems to be much better documented (at the programmer's level) than MS-DOS
and Windows systems, which require the purchase of multiple "*Secrets*"
books just to get the systems to perform the simplest tasks!  To answer
_your_ point, UNIX system documentation for non-programmers still leaves a
great amount to be desired even at this late date.

Although I have certainly run into system administrators who would be best
suited to running otherwise unattended computer rooms in the Antarctic, most
of us try our best to supply our users with the computing resources they
need to do their jobs.  Unfortunately, no matter what the profession, a few
will regard it as a badge of honor to bamboozle their customers by hiding
behind a wall of jargon in order to keep the profession pure.

UNIX was written by programmers for programmers -- but that is not the
majority of computer users now.  Unfortunately, the major UNIX vendors have
not been willing to commit the resources to move to UNIX++ or VOJY :).  From
my perspective, it may yet be that Windows NT will be the rightful heir to
UNIX, as it incorporates the good points of UNIX with the more modern
computing paradigms of effective but not annoying security, reasonable
reliability, and the graphical user interface.  Because of UNIX's power,
which (at the this stage of computer science) comes at the cost of
complexity, a priesthood was able to grow up under UNIX.  This is not the
fault of UNIX -- it is the fault of modern computing science, which still
produces systems that are just too hard to use!
</rant>

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Web security issues
discussion, already in progress...
Mark Leighton Fisher                   Thomson Consumer Electronics
fisherm@indy.tce.com                   Indianapolis, IN